[Cob] more cob floor debates

Tys Sniffen tys at ideamountain.com
Fri Apr 17 22:05:02 CDT 2009

Barbara,

Well, I think we have a really good site drainage situation, but I don't
know the 'sucking' properties of the untouched subsoil.  On our western
facing slight slope at 2000 ft above sea level in northern California very
near the top of the hill, our anti-water set up includes:
- urbanite mortared retaining wall with 4-6 inches of gravel behind it, weep
holes, 4in perforated pipe going to daylight on both ends underneath that
- about a 3 foot gap between the retaining wall and the wall of the house
which is under the eaves of the roof
- perforated pipe under the bond beam/stem wall that also goes to daylight
- more pipe along the north, bermed in side
- about 3 feet of overhanging eaves around the entire house
- there's a bump of soil above the house that pushes away surface water also
- it's a 3 level house (one or two steps between levels) and there's close
to 20 inches of drain rock (3/4") inside the stem wall, -BUT, at the top,
uphill side, there's maybe some spots where the drain rock only goes down 3
inches.  Mostly at that shallow end it's 4 or more, but that's my worry
spot.

So, that's why we're debating the vapor barrier. Those damn 3" spots.

Tys

Message: 1