[Cob] cob/insulation

Bob Smolen boka at mwt.net
Mon Apr 20 00:44:01 CDT 2009

Because of the cold climate in Wi. , I am considering  a sandwhich of cob with woodchips in the middle. This will be an infill for a timberframe structure. What is the best way to build ? I assume boards or plywood could be used to support a 4 to 6in cob wall between the timbers and then the forms could be stripped and used to support an exterior cob walll say 6 to 8 inches away from the first wall after which wood chips would be placed into the space between. Alternatively, after the first wall is built,the forms could be used as an outer support as a temporary wall and the woodchips poured between the cob and the form. After the woodchips (coated in light clay) dry and firm up, the outer cob wall could be built against the chips.
Does anyone have any experience with this method?
I guess cob is not necessary as a chip wall could be made between forms and then coated with a clay lime plaster because the wall is not load bearing and no need for cob. I have had problems getting the chips to firm up enough to be a basis for a wall. Has anyone worked with wood chips? A friend is a logger so I have access to unlimited amounts. I have a skidsteer and can produce a lot of cob working alone. That is why I am considering cob.
Thanks,
Bob