[Cob] Iron in cob

Shannon Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Wed Apr 22 18:59:16 CDT 2009

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009, Robert Alcock wrote:

> Hi Shannon
>
> Thanks. I do remember reading something like that on the coblist, but also I
> think it was a situation where the cob was particularly damp - if I recall
> correctly. Do you have any more details?

Sorry, that's all I remember.  Keep in mind though that aside from the
issue of how acidic your soil is, moisture is constantly moving through
your cob walls, every time you breathe out, flush a toilet, cook, shower,
etc., some of that moisture goes out the doors and windows, but a fair bit
of it ends up in your walls and eventually evaporates off the exterior
(this is why ALL walls need to breathe, regardless of what they are made
of).  The higher the interior moisture levels of your walls, the worse it
will be for iron buried in it, though it's possible that under some or
even most circumstances, the life of the iron might be "long enough"
(whatever that may be).

Phone: (800) 467-5820 |          - Natural Building Instruction -