[Cob] Curious about the clay

Henry Raduazo raduazo at cox.net
Thu May 7 07:04:20 CDT 2009

Clay is one of the most common substances on earth as such many
people have it available for free. Just go outside and dig it up.
With that said every part of the earth differs from every other part
of the earth. Some people have very pure clay which shrinks
drastically as it dries some have clay and silt some clay and sand.
Others have no clay or so little clay their walls will barely hold
together.
	If you do not have a good supply of naturally occurring clay in your
area I would not recommend building with cob. A fairly small wall
that I built in my house as a heat sink weighs 8 tons. I bought 4
tons of sand ($20.00 per ton) and mixed that with 4 tons of clay rich
soil that came from digging out the basement of a near by house. The
contractor was going to haul the soil 60 miles and pay a tipping fee
to get rid of it, but I was willing to take it for free. Buying that
much clay at a pottery place would be a bit pricey.
	Anyone who would be a natural builder must first be a scientist and
then be an engineer. As a scientist you look around your building
cite and ask What do I have? Rocks? Trees? Clay? All can be converted
to building materials. Clay is one of the most versatile because it
has so many uses as a plaster, load bearing material or refractory.
You need to experiment to find the best mix. Sometimes you need to
add sand sometimes just straw. You make bricks and then destroy the
bricks to determine the best combination of materials.
	When you know the best combination of materials then you become an
engineer and ask yourself "How do I make 8 tons of this stuff?" I
like to mix with a rototiller on a slab. You may want to mix with
your feet on a tarp. What ever. You need a lot of stuff to build a
house.
Ed