[Cob] Clay content

dotport at juno.com dotport at juno.com
Sat May 9 11:55:41 CDT 2009

Dear Clay lovers, I have enjoyed reading through the discussions on cob. I would wholeheartedly agree with the expertise that is related through HAND SCULPTED HOUSE, by Ianto, Smiley et al. There is a great description of how to know whether the clay content in the soil is right, some places where one can get it free, and how to make the sample bricks. I also want to add my enthusiasm for a hands on class. I'm 71 and the best part for me was learning that I could roll a bunch of the cob by myself, if I had a small enough batch. I could tell if the mix was right when there was the right 'squish or crunch' sound. You feel it with yoiur feet. I'm planning a part cob house here in MS, where there is PLENTY of what is called Yazoo clay. My workshop was through www.barefootbuilders.com  with Christina Ott and Craig Sommers. Excellent teachers. Good Luck everyone. Dottie Porter, Columbus MS
Compete with the big boys.  Click here to find products to benefit your business.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTI97wHoIO2PkimSGyPhqTwgqNWxeBEOYweRNHtjKZq43RsMiajYqs/