[Cob] Using cob for filling gaps in wood

Frederick Eugene Grinder III fgrinder at gmail.com
Sun May 10 10:11:40 CDT 2009

Hi all,

I recently inherited a cabin whose walls are made of rough-cut lumber
planks, much of which still has open gaps between the planks so you
can see the light of day through the wall, like a barn I suppose.
Also the floors have gaps as well, like a porch/deck.

I'm wondering if people think cob would be a reasonable solution for
sealing up the gaps.  I'm hoping I can determine a good recipe with
some tests, and then just go at it with some putty knives.  I guess if
I need to use some plant fibers, I'll have to use something very
finely ground; maybe even wheat paste?  Are there any special
considerations for ensuring that the cob sticks well to the wood?

I believe I have plenty of clay on site, but have not yet made any
test recipes to confirm.

An unexperienced and aspiring cobber,
Gene