[Cob] Using cob for filling gaps in wood

Tys Sniffen tys at ideamountain.com
Sun May 10 23:41:46 CDT 2009

Gene,

Sounds a bit like you're looking for a different way to do 'chinking', which
is a typical stuffing of something between logs in a log cabin.  Usually
that sort of stuff is some odd combination of moss, horsehair, and tar of
one kind or another. It probably depended on what was available.

If you're looking to use earth as a compound to fill up these gaps, I would
guess you're probably looking more in the earthen plaster department than
straight up cob.  Very fine sand, clay, and all sorts of other possible
additives.  I've never tried anything like putting an earthen plaster on
wood, but it seems to me that you're making more work than you need to, just
to use earth.   Dry old wood with wet clay that gathers moisture and
breathes it's entire life is probably not the best solution.

One question would be, how wide are the cracks? How flat are the planks? -
could you add a 'batten' , a  thin strip of wood that would go over the
crack, covering it?

Another important thing to think about is what you want out of this cabin.
Is this to live in year round? How cold does it get where it is? If you're
going to add insulation on the inside and a wall covering, you may want to
just ignore the cracks.

My thought would be, if you want to cob, cob, if you want to fix a wood
building, do it in a more conventional way (which doesn't mean factory or
plastic)

Good luck,

Tys

Re:

Hi all,

I recently inherited a cabin whose walls are made of rough-cut lumber
planks, much of which still has open gaps between the planks so you can see
the light of day through the wall, like a barn I suppose.

Also the floors have gaps as well, like a porch/deck.

I'm wondering if people think cob would be a reasonable solution for sealing
up the gaps.  I'm hoping I can determine a good recipe with some tests, and
then just go at it with some putty knives.  I guess if I need to use some
plant fibers, I'll have to use something very finely ground; maybe even
wheat paste?  Are there any special considerations for ensuring that the cob
sticks well to the wood?

I believe I have plenty of clay on site, but have not yet made any test
recipes to confirm.

An unexperienced and aspiring cobber,

Gene

Choose your own provider with no waiting periods with Spirit Dental and
Vision Insurance at

www.spiritdental.com