[Cob] seminar

Marlin Nissen marlin_nissen at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 1 09:12:02 CDT 2009

On the other hand there's nothing quite like the community that you MIGHT create with getting people together...probably true that it might not build you as much wall as a big machine mix? But here's a thought ,,,,, what if you had a big batch of quasi mixed Cob ready for the Cobbers to sort out and get totally ready to put on the wall?.....many hands make light work and their feet/hands would do the finishing that's usually necessary if you use a tiller or tumbler or frontend loader.

Yes it can be a pain doing all the logistics for a group to come but if you had a plan in mind for them to learn a little about foot mixing and then tackle the large tarped pile that you prepared for them by mechanical means you could get a lot of stuff on the wall

BTW, I've done cordwood with Cob as the mortar and it goes a lot higher/quicker than straight Cob before slumping. But my take which I've mentioned before is to use 2X4 cutoffs as the 'cordwood' and have them all cut to the same size with a chop saw.

Benfits of 'CobScrap'

1. They're uniform in length
2. don't need ANY drying so they won't shrink
3. free in the construction dumpsters/waste going to the landfill
4. if you Cob OVER the ends of them the wall will look just like a Cob wall!
5. you end up with an insulation gap between the 2 walls - bonus
6. from my estimates you have to make about 50% LESS Cob - less mixing
7. the walls are lighter/dry quicker so you can go higher on the wall much quicker
8. if you build a bigger INNER wall you have a good thermal mass INSIDE your structure where you want it to regulate temperature swings
9. the wall looks EXACTLY like Cob!
10. there's 1000's of anchor points for cabinets and other attachments to the cob wall, JUST below the surface of your walls.

=========================  "The past has vanished, everything that was uttered belongs there;
                   Now is the time to speak of new things."                    ~ Rumi