[Cob] cobscrap logistics - kiln dried cutoffs and Cob - quasi Cordwood

Marlin Nissen marlin_nissen at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 1 23:35:10 CDT 2009

Rob,

I'm not sure of your foundation situation....whatever courses of urbanite you'd use on a Cob wall would be similar for any type of cordwood (cobscrap) I suppose. In the great white north it's the freeze/thaw that has to be taken into account.

I think an outter wall should be several inches (4? at least) with an insulation gap at whatever width based upon the 2x4s length that spans the 2 walls....the thermal mass comes from the cob INSIDE the insulation gap and that's the wall that will have the beef to be the load bearing wall. If you use enuff 'mortar' type stuff over the outside wood ends I think it won't fall off because of the wood to Cob adhesion. I wouldn't put just a little thin crust over the ends of the wood.

I've never tried it but would think that for creativity you COULD arrange the 2x4's into patterns and leave them exposed like in Cordwood. Bet a 'wave' or sunburst could be created with a little forthought?

>From what I'm hearing NOW about wire inside Cob I wouldn't recommend ANY metal (to count on it anyway) INSIDE Cob walls as the humidity/clay will eat up/rust it away. Wood yes, metal NO from the people that have cut into Cob walls after years and years, so I guess I would NOT recommend any chicken wire. Cob adheres well to other Clay and pretty good to wood. I wonder about plastic netting too?

Let me and the Coblist know what you try and send pictures. I haven't gone dumpstering for scrap wood for a long time but a pickup and a good new subdivision used to give tons of wood cutoffs. Then a good Chop Saw will cut them ALL to the exact length for the width of your Cobscrap wall - which is a real bitch with Cordwood and a chainsaw setup - not to mention the shrinkage factor.

Best

Marlin