[Cob] Warning

Barbara Roemer roemiller4 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 09:03:34 CDT 2009

Laura Gulden posted the warning below on Tuesday, June 23.  I appreciate
Laura's caveat about bad form, and her apparent well-intentioned motive to
advise others on this list who might encounter the leader, but it would be
more instructive for readers of this list to have more information.  It
sounds as though Laura was not at the workshop, based on the uncertainty of
where Becky Bee was.  If that's true, then Laura's information is second
hand and mention should have been made of that.  Second hand warnings may
malign someone inappropriately, leaving readers unable to determine the
reliability of the source.  The line about leaving the site with the
participants leaves me wondering if both Becky and the participants were
unhappy with the owners/hosts rather than my cursory first impression that
Becky Bee had the problem.

It's entirely possible that the owner/host is really difficult, but it would
be much more helpful to have comments from those who were at the workshop.
Their comments might shed some light on the issues, aiding others in
avoiding similar problems.  Control?  Organization?  Lack of knowledge?
Accommodations/facilities/tools?  Safety?  Often in such a situation, no one
is eager to come forward publicly, and in that case, I'd rather not have
info than have it second hand and a bit veiled.  It's too easy to take a
shot at someone when you were not present  and you are not facing  the
person you've accused.   Anyone who was present care to comment  in ways
that might  be  checked out or responded to by others party to the workshop
difficulties?  As a caveat, I know nothing about the workshop, the host, or
the participant, but I have hosted workshops, taught at them, and worked at
many.

Barbara Roemer

Original post:

Cobbing usually brings out the best in people.
Unfortunately, there is a woman who is building and hosting workshops that
is very difficult. Becky Bee was and is scheduled to do workshops outside of
Roseburg, Or. at Ishie's. She needed to leave the site with the
participants.
I know it's bad form But I feel very strongly that a warning is in order.
Happy Cobbing to all of you