[Cob] Foundation for cob

Kristen Davenport kristen at boxcarfarm.com
Wed Jun 24 17:38:19 CDT 2009

Hi there.
We are going to soon dig a 2-foot foundation trench for a 16-by-30 cob
addition to our adobe house. The walls will be some parts cob and some parts
straw bale. Our inclination is to build a foundation and stem wall out of
mortared stone (we have plenty around here) but a local contractor guy is
discouraging this , urging us to instead pour a concrete foundation with
rebar, etc, etc. Meanwhile, my local "cob dude" expert urges earthbags.

Advice and stories of your experiences welcome.

Kristen