[Cob] opinion on foundation for cob

phil moulton philmoulton at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 01:59:28 CDT 2009

My big concern is just what the last poster said.
Putting a gravel trench down means a unstable stem wall.
Most here might say put in a "urbanite" and concrete stem wall over gravel.
I just do not feel its stable enough. We are not talking about a stick frame
wall but tons of material.
I know there are those who feel I am not "green" and that's ok.
Even if you let it settle for a few years and machine tamp it down its still
gravel with a drain pipe in it.

When we build it will be on solid ground with rebar and a solid concrete
pour 18 inch wide and 2 feet high.
It will start with a good solid footing of undisturbed earth. If that's 5
inches down or 20 the undisturbed earth has been there and is nicely settled
into its home.

Putting a stem wall over a gravel drain trench WILL cause it to crack...
Put your gravel drain trench OUTSIDE the perimeter of the stem wall so it
deflects any water around the foundation.

Phil and lilpony