[Cob] Insulation-cob walls for stables

Shody Ryon qi4u at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 5 10:43:17 CDT 2009

I am not a cob builder, if your horse area is really damp most all the time, I wonder if asphalt emulsion should be added to the mix with a coat of lime as waterproofing on the outside might be an option.

Probably a better option would be to build a small test "wall" in a stable with a horse and damp conditions with no additives, a pure cheap simple complete test, well if you build 2 opposing walls on the sort of foundation you are proposing with a roof. Accept it would be lacking the brace support provided by the side walls. Since cob is known to support a roof, this point should mute, unless you are planning thin walls, which were already ruled out.

I imagine cob stables we used in Devon, UK as many houses have been there for 4 or 500 years, and since autos have been around just over 100 or so, one might make some assumptions, including ones about dampness as the UK as a whole is damp.

After rereading the question, I realize by the first meter, you meant the first meter in elevation up from the ground, not as a facing. I am not used to meters. Do you have access to that much rock? That sounds great, but I don't know.

Out of curiosity, what is the lowest daytime high temperature in the winter and how many nights to temps go below freezing, do stables ever need to be heated where you are, or anywhere, for that matter?

What I am getting at is; does anyone insulate cob?

In a cold area, I would consider insulation it, with XPS insulation, and under the floor, too. Perhaps that is just because I don't understand how cob works. To me, the primary purpose of a house is to create a separation from uncomfortable or lethal weather condition; water tight, draft/wind proof and thermal insulation would all be essential, in most areas, to me.

Shody