[Cob] cob stables

Dorothy Bothne dbothne54 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 7 09:33:36 CDT 2009

Andy,
I have a small cob building that I use as a seed starting greenhouse in one area and store my saddles and animal feed in another.   One wall faces the pasture and stable area where the horses have access to the building.  other than one incident where my colt pushed the screen in from the open window (out of curiosity) we haven't had any problems with the horses bothering the building or chewing on the cob walls.  The small building was previously used as a chicken coop, the problem with animals inside the cob building is that it's difficult to clean poop off of the cob walls (which is why we moved the chickens out.
The little building is pretty strong, my husband ran into the wall with a tractor and took a small chunk out, cosmetic damage only, easy to repair, no structural problems.
Had a small twister pass through the back of our property once, it flipped the neighbors storage shed into our property, only damage to the cob building was some of the plaster stripped off.
Dorothy