[Cob] STABLE WALL- lime weakens?

rodger at inbox.com rodger at inbox.com
Fri Jul 10 07:11:48 CDT 2009

Hi Charmaine,

A cob house I helped build and plaster had beautiful clay soil on site, about 30% clay, 20% silt and 50 % sand by volume... and it required about a 1:1 addition of sand to get it to be perfect cob or plaster.  Once burnished and dry it didn't dust at all.

The owners were worried about it being durable enough on the exterior so we experimented with various plaster mixes that included well slaked Type S Hydrated Lime (not the best lime in my experience, but good enough).  I think we did a whack of mixes up to about 50% lime.  All hardened well as you say... but it was my experience that all were more brittle than the clay plaster OR a pure Lime render.  Harder yes, but more easily broken, chipped and cracked, which I extrapolated to mean... weaker.

It seems to me that the lime binds chemically and the clay binds physically (+ and - forces in the clay platelets)... so if there's a clay particle between lime particles, it will interfere with the lime process, and if there's a lime particle between clay platelets, it will interfere with clay binding.  Best to leave them to their own ways.  So I never mix lime and clay with the intention of making it stronger.

But if you are determined to use less than ideal soil without bringing in extra clay, then it makes perfect sense to me to add lime or portland.  If soil isn't ideal I usually just get a load of high clay soil to mix in... cheap stuff as you know;)

thoughts?

Rodger