[Cob] using hay instead of straw

Dulane silkworm at spiderhollow.com
Mon Jul 20 10:49:43 CDT 2009

1. Straw is the stalks of a grass plant, like oats or wheat. Hay is a leafy
plant like alfalfa or other legume, like clover.
2. Hay has ample nutrients, straw does not...just fiber.
3. Straw doesn't compost quickly, hay does.
4. Mice and voles love eating hay, but may build nests in loose straw.
5. Hay costs more, because it is a feed. (Only mushrooms and mold really
like eating straw.)
6. Straw costs less because it is only good for bedding or other application
that calls for nearly inert biomass.

I recently harvested some of our field grass to use for cob, but I made darn
sure I did it before the seeds had a chance to head up, and tore the heads
off those that were starting to go to seed. I would definitely use local
grasses if you have access to them, but remove all the seeds.
In my little cob house, I only used about 4 bales of straw. When I started
the project, they were $7 per bale, but I paid $14 for the last bale.