[Cob] Soil Survey

Shannon Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Tue Jul 28 19:27:56 CDT 2009

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009, yewberry at wavecable.com wrote:

[snip]
> A high percentage of silt (I'm pretty sure 30% constitutes "high") will
> greatly weaken your cob mixture.  I don't know of any real way to remove silt
> from a large amount of soil.  Better to find another source, I'm guessin'.
[snip]

There is no substitute for actually testing the mix.  The soil at my
place works just fine for cob even though the silt is around 35%.  While
silt does interfere with the bonding of clay, lots of clay or lesser
amounts of very sticky clay may make up for it.

Phone: (800) 467-5820 |          - Natural Building Instruction -