[Cob] volunteering opportunity, and wood shavings in cob

Robert Alcock ralcock at euskalnet.net
Sun Aug 2 05:45:43 CDT 2009

Hi group,

First, some news: Abrazo House, our cob/straw bale hybrid house and
study centre here in N Spain is growing - we are just about to start on
the second story, the straw bales should arrive on or around August
14th, and we hope to get the house roofed over by the middle of
September. We've still got room for a couple of volunteers to help at
this busy time - anybody looking for a short-notice volunteering
opportunity should check out our website, http://www.abrazohouse.org,
and read the conditions at http://www.abrazohouse.org/?p=157.

Second, a question: About adding wood shavings to cob as a type of
aggregate in place of some of the sand. Anybody tried this? I'm thinking
it could improve the insulation value and lessen the weight without
reducing strength too much... but maybe that depends on getting a good
bond between the clay and the wood shavings?

Robert
www.abrazohouse.org