[Cob] California and "Green Building Code"

Dean Sherwin costman at verizon.net
Wed Sep 23 14:58:03 CDT 2009

I totally agree with Howard's sentiments.  Cob can be included as a
structurally sufficient material.  It takes a lot of work tho to get
new stuff into code language.  The adobe people in New Mexico did a
tremendous job in drafting a complete chapter for the UBC (previous
building code) that was accepted as available for voluntary adoption
by authorities, in NM, CA & CO I think.  Did not mean every inspector
would accept it but it's there.  And so much easier that way.  Looks
like noone in cob has been serious enough to address these issues.
However the issue originally mooted here, as regards Green and Energy
codes, is a little different.  Cob has lousy thermal
resistance.  Earth works well in New Mexico where you have hot days &
cool nights (due to its thermal mass and slow response) , not well
where temperatures are consistently hot or consistently cold.
That's why I suggest using it for either unheated structures -
garages, outbuildings - or inside an insulated shell.  It can
definitely be structural.
Energy codes and building codes are two different things.
Dean Sherwin

At 03:00 PM 9/23/2009, you wrote:

>I think this would be a completely wrong assumption/attitude to
>enter into such a discussion with.  I could have said the same about
>straw bale a while back.  The other thing is that many code people
>are on our side, or at least are not opposed to earthen
>construction, and are interested in learning about it.  Some may be
>difficult but being difficult is often not insurmountable in my
>experience, it just takes a bit more time.  I think all the
>structural issues can be tested on site if necessary.  The code is
>not intended to be interpreted to prevent the use of alternative
>materials and a history of natural materials is well established.

Dean Sherwin CPE
Certified Professional Estimator
LEED Accredited Professional
CONSTRUCTION COST MANAGEMENT