[Cob] cob building design acceptance

Ocean Liff-Anderson ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Fri Oct 2 16:57:13 CDT 2009

I believe the reason British cob is square lies more in the fact that
rectilinear design was the standard, and that after exhausting all
the timbers on the isle the only material left to build with was the
earth.  The British (and British Columbians) recognize the strength
and longevity of the cob due to their multi-century experience with
cob buildings (many cob cottages in Devon were built in Medieval
times) .

Ianto and Cob Cottage Co teach that curvilinear walls are stronger
than rectilinear.  This may or may not be true.  But I know for one
that there is a "felt sense" of satisfaction, security, "hominess" in
a Cob-Cottage-style curvilinear building that I just don't feel in
square traditional (and even straw bale) structures.  This may just
be a bias, or I'm drinking the cool-aid offered by Ianto, but also I
would suggest we all read the third section of "The Hand Sculpted
House", written primarily by Linda Evans, which focuses on the
healing and spiritual aspects of cob buildings.  If it is too "woo-
woo" for some, that's OK, but it does give greater context for Cob
Cottage's rationale for curvilinear design.

I would also suggest a reading of Christopher Alexander's "Pattern
Language" which Ianto draws from extensively in his emphasis we
design from the occupants perspective - rather than from traditional/
conventional mindset - which lends to an elegance and simplicity not
found in conventional buildings.  The Pattern Language helps explain
why one can feel more complete in the Evan's 200 square foot Heart
Cottage, but lost and alienated in your standard 4000 square foot
"Sports Utility House" (to borrow Rob Bolman's term).

Peace to all,
Ocean Liff-Anderson
Proprietor, FireWorks Restaurant
Corvallis, Oregon