[Cob] cob building design acceptance

Janet Standeford j.standeford at hughes.net
Sat Oct 3 22:40:24 CDT 2009

I completely agree with you. I am currently working on getting a permit
and am gathering information for the Building Department Head for an
alternative materials packet. I know in my head that if I keep it as
conventional as possible it is far more likely to be approved than if I
push them into a corner with something they find completely foreign.
Later is time enough for other forms of building, which I feel in my
heart. We just need more of these permitted to open the door wider.

I just ordered 7 books to submit with the packet and my written paper on
what I plan to build. Hopefully the books will lend credence to the
packet. If anyone has any other suggestions, please talk with me.

In case anyone doesn't remember, I am building with earth bag in the
center of cob walls and will have a cistern instead of a well. As it
turns out I will also need to enlarge the house slightly to include a
bedroom I can close off so I can build a fireplace. Fireplaces in Oregon
are not regulated to death.