[Cob] bale-cob

Christopher Reinhart sandymud at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 10:25:52 CDT 2009

I live in a bale-cob house that I have constructed.  Well, one portion is
bale-cob and other parts are straw-clay, cob, timber, etc...  Anyway, there
is a very descriptive article of how I constructed it in The CobWeb, issue
19.  The cover story is an explanation of the technique by Ianto, followed
by my write-up of our experience with bale-cob here in southern indiana.

In brief, bale-cob is a load-bearing wall system with straw bales set to the
outside of the wall and about 6-8" of cob on the inner portion of the wall.
This is a great marriage of the different materials properties - a thick
layer of thermal mass surrounded by a layer of insulation.  Construction is
faster than with a full cob wall - less cob to mix, less trimming...

I have worked on one other bale-cob home, as well, and in both cases have
found the technique to be wonderful in its construction and in the function
of the resulting building.

-Christopher Reinhart
Bloomington, IN