[Cob] plastic jugs charmaine's entry

Damon Howell dhowell at pickensprogress.com
Mon Dec 14 15:13:47 CST 2009

Charmaine, I also see most people refuse to use refuse. And that's
unfortunate because our landfills here in America are sky high and
growing. Why not build houses out of garbage? People smear cow dung
all over their walls and does it indefinitely smell? No. Most garbage
is recyclable paper, which can be soaked and used as plaster. Reminds
me of the time I was telling my uncle about cob. He got all excited
about the idea and said, "you could put anything you want to in there
(talking about the cob) and once it dries it's still gonna be hard as
a rock." He was thinking stuff like old bicycles, tools, worn out
shoes, and maybe even his kid brothers annoying toys, but I told him
if it will rot or rust, it's not a good idea to put it in the cob.
Another thought is a tin roof doesn't weigh much, but a living roof
does and that's usually the reason to build a wall with high
compressive strength. A lot of times I think we over do it with worry
that it's not gonna be strong enough, but the more people build with
earth and document their victories, the less apprehensive they will
be. As fill, I'm more in favor of rock and wood than sand filled
plastic jugs. Wood would probably be easier to get to the top of the
wall too, which was the original posters concern. It's a good way to
clean up debris!

Damon in GA, USA