[Cob] (Cob) Mold and fungus

Dulane silkworm at spiderhollow.com
Mon Jan 4 20:31:57 CST 2010

I had green mold and sprouting seeds in the wet cob (which could be brushed
off after it dried) but I also got serious mold on my plywood ceiling and
fir roof beams. I had an early roof leak, too, but quickly repaired it.

I was doing OK as long as I kept a window or door open, but we left for a
week in January right after we installed a door lock and the mold took over.
I should have made a vent at the tallest point in my building. I didn't have
enough ventilation and it is critical.

After we finally got it dry, I was afraid I would have to go up there and
sand the ceiling and beams, but my partner Roy used a left over deck cleaner
product (which smells like bleach) and a scrub brush and rinsed it well, and
now you would have a hard time finding those ominous crappy spots or
detecting any moldy smell.

After using lime interior paint, the cob smells exceptionally clean too.

I have a couple of 'checks' where the cob has receded from the cordwood and
you can see light all the way through in the daytime. I've decided to leave
them like that for passive circulation to maintain air quality, unless I see
condensation accumulate. The checks don't affect the ability to heat my
small space.

Dulane