[Cob] Next step

Alexander Ihlo alexander.ihlo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 16:48:43 CST 2010

Earthbag building has been approved under southern California's strict
Earthquake standards, and holds up under tests.  But only in Hisparia County
has it been approved, so far as I know.

It is called stabilized earth, what you fill the bags with, meaning that it
has concrete mortar mixed in with the earth to reinforce it.  The tests they
ran on the earthbag structures broke the equipment being used, the stuff is
that strong, when built properly.  The company which hosted the testing is
called Cal Earth, and was founded by Nader Khalili.

The bags WILL deteriorate 40-50 years down the line, but the concrete will
have set by then and they would remain standing.

...That said, personally I think cob is nicer looking, and the same amount
of work to build.  But those domes are great looking too!  This stuff is all
connected, no borders should be made between us and them for sure, "props"
go out to that whole crew for the thorough development work they did on
their building system.  Khalili is a real inspirational guy to listen to,
and I have a couple of Cal Earths DVD's if anyone wants to borrow them and
learn more.
 --

From, Al
P.O. Box 605