[Cob] XL Earthbagging

Benjamin Brownell benpbrown at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 15 02:54:36 CST 2010

Well, I confess!  My recent standing work is an exuberant dirt-ship dome of diameter=25' height=16', walls finished to 16" thick--with a 7'x12' bay window opening at ground level.  I feel that a well designed and executed project of this scale and larger can be securely accomplished and durably enjoyed, even in high seismic territory, based on fairly intimate intuitive study and exploration of this case alone.  Alright, from an engineering standpoint that's not based on much!  And it is potentially a treacherous encouragement to anyone approaching alternative construction as a guarunteed incremental advance of the Standard Issue/mass-deployable/code-conformed Units.  But I want to give an empathetic holler to the many denizens of a fulminating gray area between manufacture and artistry where crucial proof puddings are actually being prepped--most readers here I believe.
Gambling thus is often win-win (lots yet to learn from mistaking as well).  BUT--I am on thin ice still in my own conscience with the real possibility of catastrophic failure in an exhibition-level structure such as this; and must treat it for now as a remarkable sculpture that may herald the necessary catch-up of principle and practice behind such speculative adventures.  I have a vast new personal confidence in the earthbag system from feeling my way through this process but also thirst for the verifications of controlled quantitative study which may ultimately permit broad adoption.  Sadly, my prior (and very modestly/stably proportioned) earthbag effort sits unfinished in limbo as the case is slowly made to officialdom...now THAt's risky for ya!
A few critical caveats--my works have been basically in line with Kahlili's 'Superadobe' protocol, using tube sack in continuous curvature and cement stabilization around 7% b.v.--features which significantly enhance performance over discreet linear bagging of raw earth (unstabilized soil may accomplish similar load bearing at cure but anxiety quickly rises with future possible water content--anyone done test-to-fail on rewetted pure-earth walls?).  Also climatically, this system is especially suited to warm arid zones and should be peppered with question marks anywhere that confronts chronic moisture or chill.
This should be a link to some photos (work proceeds and a thorough report forthcoming on culmination):  http://www.flickr.com/photos/19483908@N00/sets/72157623089095081/
Bon Chance!

--- On Thu, 1/14/10, coblist-request at deatech.com <coblist-request at deatech.com> wrote:Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 09:56:07 -0600