[Cob] Haitian cob & historical context

Ocean Liff-Anderson ocean at fireworksvenue.com
Fri Jan 15 10:12:30 CST 2010

Yes, yes, Cob would be ideal for building/rebuilding - and properly
constructed - earthquake resistant, and most of all AFFORDABLE in an
impoverished country.  And yes, no doubt the Western industrial
builders would certainly laugh us off the island for suggesting that
a mud house could be a safe as their rebar/concrete structures.
Despite the fact that most of the structures that fell in and killed
occupants were cinder block buildings with no rebar ( far too
expensive ) industrial solutions will still be seen as the only choice.

The history of the impoverished island of Haiti was recently
recounted by Robert Parry at http://www.consortiumnews.com/
2010/011310.html and reveals the troubling political relationship
America has had with the inhabitants. In a nutshell: Jefferson feared
the slave rebellion on Haiti would spread north to his 180 slaves, so
he considered teaming up with Napoleon to crush the rebellion!
Luckily the slave prevailed, defeated two of Napoleon's army and in
defeat he sold Jefferson the Lousiana Territories and doubled the
land mass of the early colonies... to be followed by more genocide of
the natives.

(Yes, Shannon, I know this is moving off-topic, but historical
context is important to help realized the greater forces at work,
especially if we start talking about exporting cob into an area where
we American "helpers" might likely be looked upon with great
skepticism/resentment for what our forebears inflicted upon their
people and culture...)

Ocean Liff-Anderson
FireWorks Restaurant
http://fireworkscorvallis.com