[Cob] topsoil

Henry Raduazo raduazo at cox.net
Sun Jan 17 08:21:01 CST 2010

Making bricks is the best test of a potential cob material. I mix
sand with the base material and try to find the ideal material and
then try to get it approximately right not precisely wrong. The first
time I did this I mixed 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4 parts of sand with one part
soil. Every one of my blocks was suitable for building, I thought 2
parts sand and one part clay soil was the best, but I tried for a 1
to 1 mix because clay was free and rock dust cost $22.00 per ton and
had to be transported one pickup truck load at a time. In the end a
10 foot high wall shrank about 3 inches top to bottom. The double
pane glass that I embedded in the wall with 2 inches of foam padding
survived, but the outer pane cracked so I now have a 45 x 32 inch
single pane of glass imbedded in an 8 ton cob wall.
	Dry cob is unaffected by freezing, but if water is allowed to soak
deeply into the wall and freeze it will damage the wall. Normally the
dry cob with a roof over it sheds water and wicks it away from the
surface so quickly that by the time serious freezing occurs the wall
is unaffected. Cob walls have thermal inertia too so that if you have
hard rains followed by cold freeze the cob walls will resist deep
freezing long enough to prevent damage.
	I have several walls in the Washington, DC area with no roof. We
have lots of rain followed by freezing and as you would expect the
walls are deteriorating over time. Other walls that occasionally get
wet are undamaged.

Ed