[Cob] Engineered Cob House Plans

Mark Piepkorn duckchow at potkettleblack.com
Thu Feb 11 10:58:41 CST 2010

Hi Jill,

     They're both cob, most likely shuttered cob - made using forms. The
second one did have the lap siding added many years ago to protect it
from erosion, which the first one has suffered significantly. An entire
corner had been nearly washed entirely away on that one due to a gutter
failure, and was replaced with concrete blocks. Large patches, some of
them stabilized with cement (argh), were delaminating from the walls in
various places when I was there. The overhangs are entirely inadequate.
The house has survived for a good long life, but only through active,
major, and sometimes structurally spooky maintenance. It's pretty, but
not a good model to follow in that climate. It was a wise decision to
add siding on the first (and older) one.

Mark