[Cob] Engineered Cob House Plans

Mark Piepkorn duckchow at potkettleblack.com
Fri Feb 12 16:29:50 CST 2010

>>> I'm sorry, but every time a new formless  building is erected with
>>> cob a disservice is done to our current  predicament . That would be
>>> that honest individuals who want to obey  the law cannot build
>>> because most cobbers are looked at as clueless.
>
> /Hi Damon, I completely agree.

I don't think curvy contemporary structures are to blame for cob and
other materials and methods not being in the code, or that they make it
harder for those materials and methods to be adopted. Without
standardized materials that offer consistent performance and
proscriptive methods of use, the code folks are understandably in a bit
of a bind. It's the same reason that ungraded lumber isn't allowed in
structural use. For better or worse, stick is a known commodity in the
U.S., supported by giant industry and supported over time by sheer
numbers. I'm not saying that's good or right.

Mark