[Cob] location of cob planter wall

Bernhard Masterson bernhard_masterson at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 17 15:14:01 CST 2010

Hi Sarah,
   I recommend you design the planter so that it is the roof for the wall.  This can be done by sculpting a flared top to the wall with a cavity in the center for the planter.  Use EPDM (pond liner) to line the planter and drape it over the top of the cob wall so that the EPDM forms the drip edge.  The drip edge should extend a couple of inches beyond the base of the wall.  If you can make the wall slope ever so gradually from one end to the other and leave the bottom end of the wall open (like a children's slide for the water) then you won't need to do any plumbing.  Put a little gravel in the bottom of the planter for drainage.  Chose plantings that will cover the exposed EPDM and prevent edges from blowing up in the wind.
- Bernhard

Get under a sustainable lifestyle umbrella, the carbon is going to hit the fan.

____________________________________bernhard_masterson at hotmail.com

Natural building instruction and consultation