[Cob] could cob be masonry?

Damon Howell dhowell at pickensprogress.com
Fri Feb 26 10:53:54 CST 2010

I'm want to get cob passed by inspectors, for all of us. I'm thinking
of going the "masonry" route. Masonry by definition is the building
with individual units (the sand in cob), and bound together by mortar
(clay in cob). Mortar becomes hard when it sets resulting in a rigid
aggregate structure. They may want to use cement, and the definition
of cement is a binder which sets and hardens and can bind other
materials together. Clay was the first mortar and is found in
structures built more than 4,000 years ago in the east. We can't use
steel rebar in cob because the cob shrinks away creating weak spots.
Straw is substituted which is interlocked throughout the structure.
Straw doesn't rot away inside cob (now why, I don't know). I wonder
if doing a little trellis work with bamboo in addition to the straw
would satisfy? Also being one solid wall, instead of many "bricks"
makes the wall far stronger and less likely to come apart. Let me
know what you think about this approach.

Damon in GA