[Cob] Windbreak plantings

Moore, Randy - FW Randy.Moore at oregonstate.edu
Thu Mar 4 16:13:18 CST 2010

Another consideration (one that you may already have made, given the progressive nature of your undertaking) that hasn't gottetn a lot of play in the suggestions made so far is the provenance of your plantings.  Whatever you end up using, it'd be wise from an ethical and practical standpoint to make sure that it's not invasive.  Many species of ivy (English ivy being the standard bearer) and holly are horribly invasive and destructive and should never be planted anywhere on purpose.  Your MO chapter of the native plant society will probably have some good suggestions for things to plant that will be suited to breaking wind (no pun intended, although I do find that awfully funny in a fourth grade kind of a way).

Go with natives!

cheers,
randy

Message: 2