[Cob] Plans changed again

Janet Standeford janet.standeford at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 00:31:43 CDT 2010

Especially for those who requested copies of the plans. But also for
those working on overcoming code issues.

My Structural Engineer is allowing earthbag on the foundation to just
above ground, then rock to even with that on both sides with cob from
there up on all sides to the roof. The earthbags will effectively
protect the cob from the concrete and the wood risers on the south side
and ends of the house will not be needed..

Bottom of the wall is to be 3 feet and the top is to be 2 feet. Support
logs will be in all the corners (one per side of each corner), the
center of the house and each side of the fireplace painted with black
jack or covered in tar paper to protect them from the moisture and
buried in the cob. They will stand on concrete from the foundation. This
will be support for the logs tying the roof down on top of the walls.

Rebar will be staggered vertically and not required from ground up
everywhere. Rebar will be #3 two feet from the roof up through the
horizontal logs on the top of the walls and bent on both ends.

Windows and Doors will be arched and framed with pressure treated wood
removing the need for the header logs.

Corners are no longer stick but will be just cob.

The revisions will not be on my working plans but he has indicated that
as he has time he will create new ones to reflect all the changes which
I may get even as late as after the house is done. Unless someone needs
to buy them probably.

Every victory in creating a cob house will help with our goal of having
cob included in code. For now it is being treated as masonry.

Essentially it will be built the way we all know it must but this will
be with a permit.

I've explained to everyone that my goal is to meet their goals while
building the house in such a way that will preserve the integrity of the
cob.

In speaking with the Provost of Oregon Institute of Technology I was
told some of the people there would probably like to help create the
cistern water system. This is in addition to the ones wanting to help
build the house.

I encourage others to talk with people in places like this to obtain
their input as everyone working together can make a difference in
overcoming objections.

Janet Standeford OR
www.buildingnaturally.info (Owned by you)
A resource for healthy homes.