[Cob] 2 Questions from Su in Bulgaria

Alexander Ihlo alexander.ihlo at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 16:00:03 CDT 2010

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 06:52:58 +0000
From: Susan Hagan <su.hagan at hotmail.co.uk>
Subject: [Cob] 2 Questions from Su in Bulgaria
To: Cob list <coblist at deatech.com>

Firstly, does anyone know where I can buy a decorative Yurt cover that won't
cost the earth for a 20ft yurt and secondlyhas anyone laid an adobe brick
floor and have any tips for me. I want to know if you set the bricks in cob
or in sand and anything else that may be useful.

Su Hagan

00359(0)895195318 (Bulgarian Mobile)  00359 6128263 (Bulgarian Landline)

With Thanks. Susan Hagan.

Hey I am building a yurt right now actually so you might be in luck.

  The deal with cotton canvas is cotton production utilizes destructive
practices during growth cycles (at least in america).  Not to say cotton
itself is bad for the earth, just our cracked out agribusiness commands our
farmers to use massive amounts of chemicals.

I doubt you can find organic cotton canvas as of today.

  The deal with wool felt is, you need a lot of wool to make the felt.  If
you can find a shepherd who has a bunch of wool they don't want, or maybe a
couple of shepherds, you may be in luck like me.  I found 200 pounds for
$100.00 USD, and if you want info on this, let me know because I would be
more than happy to help you out on this path.

Personally, I learned how to make felt.. but am only going to use my wool
for insulation (when in cold climates).  I will be buying burlap to cover
the whole thing, maybe use tarps underneath to keep the rain off our heads.
 I have layers that look like this:  the frame of the yurt, then insulation
(if cold enough), then light tarps for rainproof, then finally burlap
covering all of it to hide the ugly tarps.  Some day will buy more wool and
turn cover into strictly felt for less layers, but that will come to pass
later.

If you do cotton canvas you can decorate it by painting it, then douse it in
boat cover waterproofing stuff (read the directions).  Choosing to live in a
yurt probably cancels out the bad that occurred to make the canvas in my
opinion, but it's still nice to be nice to the environment and to also be
traditional (not too much harder to be traditional either).

You could probably look into hemp, dunno how sustainably they grow it there
but; I do know at the very least France allows farmers to grow it for
textiles.

From, Al
P.O. Box 605
New Milford, CT