[Cob] electrical boxes

Christopher Reinhart sandymud at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 08:29:13 CDT 2010

 Regarding Tys' post:

> How have you handled the switch/outlet box connection to the wall? Just cob
> or plaster it into a hole big enough for it, then screw on the outlet and
> plate? Add dead men so you could screw it in?

I have approached the electrical boxes in several ways... First, by placing
them in the cob wall as it goes up.  From my experience, I would say be
thankful that you did not do it this way.  As the wall dries, the boxes
inevitably move and end up crooked or otherwise not exactly where you want
them.  The other way way, placing them into carved openings after the wall
has stiffened or dried is much more effective and is the only way that I do
it now.  As far as getting them to stay in place, I have found that simply
cobbing around the box has been sufficient.  I have always used the plastic
electrical boxes that have nails pre-attached, and I have both left these
nails on the box and taken them off.  My first thought was that cobbing
around those nails would give much more solidity to the mounting, but I have
found that there is no difference in strength between leaving the nails on
or taking them off.

Chris Reinhart
Bloomington, IN