[Cob] Second firing of new cob oven

Ray Cirino cobanation at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 16 01:03:57 CDT 2010

Dear All,
I don't want to tell you something that is not true unless I know first hand at least twice it's going to be working. So today I incerted an oven thermometer on top a basic brick and in about fifteen minutes I was at 450 and so we added pine cones and ten minutes later I read 550 degrees. I then put it in the intake 51/2" x 24" long duct at 18" deep and it read 450 degrees. We used only a five gallon bucket of 1x3" 18" long pine stacks out in the rain two days ago and it stayed at 350 for another hour without adding any more wood. Remember this is a wet not finished oven without doors, just loose bricks to close the chamber. I see having a pizza for diner and cookies for desert. I'm adding a stainless steel 1" tube coil for a hot tub my next oven that can water the garden with it's greywater. The exhaust has not been tested yet, but looking at inside the oven looks like my other rocket stoves it's clean except black in the stack.  I just got a price on
 the incerts dome and it's not pretty, but I know there's a stock part out there somewhere,32"x 16 x 16 gage. All your input has really helped. We will be having a huge pizza party soon here in LA ,  so I'll keep you in formed.
Ray

The Great Challenges we now face as a species present the very opportunities that are giving birth to Ecological, Psychological, and Spiritual Sustainability.