[Cob] ferro Cement & Cob

Barbara Roemer roemiller4 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 18:03:03 CDT 2010

While it's true that cement is not affected by water, it DOES wick it - I
think something like up to eight vertical stories, so I don't understand how
that property wouldn't affect the cob adversely.  I emailed the oner of the
I LOVE COB! website to inquire about how moisture appears to be affecting
his oven.  His pics do show a shallow gravel trench below the round piers,
so perhaps that along with a sandy soil (?) is sufficient to keep the
concrete fromm picking up water.  I know I can't do it here with 60" of rain
in 5 winter months.  Whether it's  concrete or ferro concrete is irrelevant
to wicking.

Barbara in the Sierra Nevada Foothills