[Cob] Floor construction

tony conway tony at remedycentre.org
Mon May 24 01:45:31 CDT 2010

Continuing on earthen floors:
What are the options for ensuring that an earthen floor remains damp free
from below. We will construct various cob structures over the coming years
on our farm in Portugal, and plan to use earthen floors. Has anyone tried to
incorporate an air space below the floor, and if so what did you use as the
base to lay the floor upon. The same issue if one is seeking high thermal
mass in upstairs rooms. Earth floors, laid upon a suitable load bearing
base. Don't want to use ply boards, only natural materials. Any suggestions?