[Cob] Adding Rice to Lime Mortar (Frank Hanlan)

Monica Proulx mon.pro at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 15:47:21 CDT 2010

Wow!  That is almost too cool for words.  Thanks Frank, for a great item!
Chalk another one up for rice (in addition to value of rice hulls as
insulation in bag wall construction, which I'd love to hear more about).  Go
rice!    So now I'm wondering what this sticky rice would do if added to
finish plaster and/or Alis (natural clay paint)? Maybe  a real asset when
doing sculptural details, as it sounds like it might function better than
wheat paste as a binder/stabilizer.  More expensive for sure, but may be
worth it.  I bet it would work well to grind the rice first into a flour
before cooking it into a slime. (one can mill rice using a home electric
wheat grinder, not a cheap item but worth the price for multiple
applications).  Author doesn't mention cooking, but it seems logical.