[Cob] DSCN0313

Henry Raduazo raduazo at cox.net
Sun Jul 18 20:10:20 CDT 2010

(Pictures must be requested off list)
Janet: I believe that cob has an R-value of 1 per inch so 24 inches
thick would be R-24. I am not sure where I read that, but R-value is
beside the point. What we are talking about is bio-mass. You are
heating this mass while you heat the air in your house. That is why
all cob houses are passive solar because the sun heats the air and
the walls during the day time and the walls heat the air during the
night. If the heat is moving through your wall at a rate of 1 inch
per hour then 12 inches of cob is about the most you will need
because after 9-12 hours of gaining heat it is then night time and
you are starting to loose heat.

	Fig. 1 below shows an 8 inch cob wall built against a 12 inch thick
wall of straw bales. By placing the bales on their edge you actually
get more insulation because the straws run transverse to the
direction of heat migration. This structure actually has three
bedrooms and I believe they are wider than 10 feet.

	I believe that there are several places that give the R-values of
straw bales and it is a heck of a lot higher than cob.
Ed

(Picture available upon request.)