[Cob] Mix

Henry Raduazo raduazo at cox.net
Sun Jul 18 20:40:28 CDT 2010

> Janet: Note the R-value below for bales placed on their edge as
> Ianto has done. Recent calculations have lowered this rating
> because of air infiltration between the bales, but air infiltration
> through 9 inches of cob on the inside and two inches of earth
> plaster on the outside is zero.

Ed

R-Value of Straw Bales Lower Than Previously Reported

Much of the published information on the energy performance of straw-
bale buildings is based on measurements done in 1993 by Joseph McCabe
at the University of Arizona as part of his masterÕs thesis. McCabe
used a Òguarded-hot-plateÓ apparatus (procedure ASTM C-177-85) to
measure heat flow through a single bale that was 23Ó (580 mm) wide by
16 1Ú2Ó (420 mm) tall. He reported R-values of 48.8 (RSI-8.6) for
bale on edge and R-54.8 (RSI-9.7) for the bale laid flat. Thus he
concluded that the insulating value is R-2.68 per inch (0.054 W/m¡C)
when heat flow is perpendicular to the orientation of the straws
(bales stacked on edge) and R-2.38 per inch (0.061 W/m¡C) when the
heat flow is parallel to the straw orientation. These values were
reported in EBNÕs feature article on straw as a building material
( EBN Vol. 4, No. 3) and in many other publications.

Follow-up studies conducted since 1993 have given widely differing
results. In 1994 a thermal probe was used by R. U. Acton at Sandia
National Laboratory to deduce the R-value of a 16 1Ú2Ó-wide (420 mm)
bale as R-44 (RSI-7.7), which seemed to support McCabeÕs findings,
but this is considered a fairly primitive testing procedure. In 1996,
Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) constructed a bale wall that was
stuccoed on the cold side and covered with gypsum drywall on the warm
side. This test found the R-value to be only R-17 (RSI-3.0). On a per-
thickness basis, this is just R-0.94 per inch (0.15 W/m¡C). The
explanation for this very low R-value, suggested researchers, was
that an air gap resulted from the way the drywall was attached to the
bale wall; this could have created convection currents in the wall,
depressing the R-value.