[Cob] cob vs.adobe R values

Shannon Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Thu Jul 22 14:58:59 CDT 2010

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010, Monica wrote:

> Now I'm confused.  Why would the "worst" cob (low straw content) have,
> or start at, a lower R value than adobe (.35 vs. .38)?  Perhaps you were
> estimating on the cob, or does this instead have something to do with
> the thermal mass thing?  (ie, the straw waters down the thermal mass
> qualities of the cob).  My confusion is because i was always under the
> impression that thermal mass isn't a factor used in computing R values.

The cob value is just a rough approximation based on the adobe value.  The
adobe value while it comes from a standard reference is also going to be
an approximation due to variations between adobes.  The range I listed
was simply allowing for the wide variation of possible materials in the
estimate, and the fact that cob will normally be lower density than adobe.

Thermal mass is not supposed to be a factor in R-value, however, failure
to properly account for it in testing and computations has resulted in
erroneous values being given for a number of materials over the years.

FWIW.

Phone: (800) 467-5820 |          - Natural Building Instruction -