[Cob] earth brick dome/superadobe beehive dome

Damon Howell dhowell at pickensprogress.com
Mon Jul 26 14:29:13 CDT 2010

Charmaine: "in Germany some of the smartest precivilized dwellings
were dug down deep into the ground, then only a short roof/wall
covering was needed, again thatch and mud, it saved a great deal on
work...in the very  'olden' times  walls were the hardest thing to
build..."

Damon: That may be what the archeologists say about the evolution of
building, but in Germany I personally don't think digging a hole in
the ground big enough to live in for more than a month IS easier than
building walls (think WWII foxholes/ very hard to dig!) I would bet
they did it for the same reason the Icelanders build stone homes
bermed with earth (to keep out the cold). It only takes a few minutes
to figure out that the wind doesn't pass through solid things very
well. The argument that because it was a long time ago they didn't
know anything doesn't float. Think of the pyramids! Even if we were
talking about the very first built shelters, they probably were lean-
tos. The next step was likely a pile of rocks, or sticks (to block
wind) with a lean-to attached to keep off rain/sun, then maybe slap
some mud between the stones or logs... Wow, the first masons! And it
probably happened in a span of months instead of thousands of years.

Damon in Ga, USA