[Cob] Pat's take on Domes

Patrick Newberry PNewberry at habitat.org
Tue Jul 27 16:10:28 CDT 2010

Dome... I love them and I hate them...

I mean I started off with a dome, basically like Kaki and Doni ala Nader Khalili, but because I live in a reasonably wet climate I went the route of a  a ferro cement cap using chicken wire and cement on top the dome. The dome itself is pretty decent as far a rain goes (I live in Middle Georgia). But because the dome sits in the middle of a larger structure, such that the water runs off the dome onto another roof... that is where I have a few issues.

Of course now the rolled roofing on the outer section has reached its age limit and must be replaced.

Would I do the dome again if I was starting from scratch?  Maybe, maybe not.

I do know I would do some things differently and hopefully better, but I have no desire to start over, too tired, too old.

But I'll improve what I can and learn to live with the things as they are.

One thing that is  nice is that I have the vent at the  top of the dome and it really really nice to have so much light inside the dome (there are no other windows) Also nice for Ventilation, fantastic in spring and fall.

But a lot of what has been said it true: e.g. A circle is not the most efficient use of space (nor are my curvy walls) (esp. for putting in square furniture etc). However the acoustics are fine (not echoey) Not sure why it's not echoey, but it's not. I would say my dome has great acoustics.

My Biggest mistake of all is the roof that goes from the earth bag dome wall to the cob wall, I did not make it with enough pitch and thus much of my problems stem from that fact.

Ok... I know I'm crappy at my written description (here are some photos)

http://www.gypsyfarm.com/plugin_images/win99/11.JPG

http://www.gypsyfarm.com/plugin_images/win99/3.JPG

The dome is ferro cement and sits on a earth bag / super adobe dome wall.

The outer roof is just rolled roofing sitting on slats over poles cut from the land the poles go  from the dome to an outer cob wall. The rolled roofing section will more than likely be ferro cement as well since I like the fire-resistance aspects. The roof will be self supporting with the poles and rolled roofing acting more a form rather than a support.

... but then I've been saying this for a couple of years, but have not made much progress. However I do have a section that I've finished like this and it's held up now for a couple of years and I do have a building spurt planned for this fall.

Pat
www.gypsyfarm.com