[Cob] Lime Putty

Henry Raduazo raduazo at cox.net
Sat Jul 31 06:07:14 CDT 2010

	Go to a place that sells bricks, mortar, sand and masonry products
only, and ask for mason's lime, builder's lime, limeoid or hydrated
lime (it goes by different names at different places). Do not go to
places that also sell garden supplies.  They do not have a clue, and
will probably give you garden lime which is just ground up limestone.
	It will probably come in a 50 pound bag and will make two drywall
buckets full when you mix it with water. Once mixed  you can cover it
with a layer of water and put a lid on it, and it will keep that way
for years. When applied to a wall, it will absorb carbon dioxide from
the air and turn back to limestone on your wall.
	Don't forget if you spill any of it on your glass or stone, clean it
up right away (before it undergoes a chemical change). After it has
chemically reacted with the air it is difficult to wash off. That
goes for tools too. Don't ruin a good float or shovel by being lazy
and not cleaning it each time you take a break from plastering or
painting.

Ed