[Cob] Cob vs adobe

Dean Sherwin costman at verizon.net
Sat Jul 31 12:59:15 CDT 2010

good question with more answers than can fit in a small email IMO...
depends on climate and soil.   (and why not compare rammed earth or
pise too, they are perhaps even more adaptable)
After all cob originally is confined to a very specific geographic
area within  England  - in China and India its more widespread but
not under that name.
Adobe it turns out is popular in S'west particularly because of long
dry spells which allows drying out of bricks.   Then they can be
built with relatively fast.
Also easily modified nowadays with bitumen or even cement - in
practice this is to make drying and handling more dependable rather
than for strength and resistance in the wall.
Cob is slower to build with but admittedly goes right up into the
wall.   Just needs the right mix of mud and plenty of labor. In
general they laid up 18" height of wall or so and then waited weeks
before coming back and putting up the next layer, meanwhile working
on other agricultural tasks.  But you could go from building to
building if you had a dedicated crew and enough steady work.  Winter
is a problem some places.
In a developed adobe economy such as New Mexico the adobes are made
in a yard and purchased as necessary, makes it quicker and much more
dependable.  But that makes it more expensive for the dedicated self builder.
Adobes are associated with a more refined architecture generally at
least now.  The Mosque at Abiqiu NM is stunning.  Cob buildings are
generally but not necessarily more humble and "cottage like"  (but
that may be for cultural and historical reasons).  Easier to go
higher with adobe.
Bam in Iran is adobe not cob - probably the most significant
assemblage of earth architecture anywhere (was)

By the way for more background on adobe - and for info on earth
floors as discussed here recently, also making domes etc, I looked at
my CD copy of  the Earthbuilders Encyclopedia by Joseph Tibbets,
an  adobe guy from NM.  Not sure if Charmaine carried that -
probably.  I could excerpt pieces on floors or etc for anyone that needed it
Dean Sherwin

Dean Sherwin CPE
Certified Professional Estimator
LEED Accredited Professional