[Cob] durabilty

Damon Howell dhowell at pickensprogress.com
Tue Sep 28 11:01:14 CDT 2010

I'm just really impressed by how durable clay is when it completely
dries. It's ability to reject change is phenomenal. I have clay which
I put in the cracks of my foundation four years ago, dug directly
from the ground and it has been exposed to a lot of rain and freeze/
thaw cycles because I'm still working on the walls (I know). It is
still there in almost the same condition as it was when I first put
it there. And the cob walls have been unprotected all this time and
only show deterioration on the top where the rain hits full force (a
lot of straw sticking out). The sides look like they've never been
rained on. If I ever get this thing finished, with a roof and plaster
to protect the walls, I'm guessing it will last a lifetime easily.