[Cob] CodesFor my part, I don't mind going through the hoops

Shannon Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Wed Sep 29 10:53:52 CDT 2010

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010, Yun Que wrote:

> Cat here ... thanks for some sanity and good solid thinking!
>
> Anyone know what kind of Rye is suitable for thatch roofing?  Finished
> a book by John Syemore... (not sure if that's the right spelling)...He
> suggests Rye for a wintering over crop in a 4 rotation planting.  Rye
> attaches nitrogen to the soil and the straw is used for thatch...
> Like to know if there is a specific variety to sow?

I don't know a specific variety (though I might have a reference that
lists it somewhere around here), however, with wheat straw you need to
plant the older varieties as modern wheat has been bred to put all it's
energy into the grain, resulting in stalks that are too short and too weak
to be used for thatching.  Assuming the same problem applies to rye, I
would tend to look for a variety which was being grown 100+ years ago.

FWIW.

Phone: (800) 467-5820 |          - Natural Building Instruction -