[Cob] Ty's lime soaking

Charmaine Taylor dirtcheapbuilderbooks at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 14:41:42 CDT 2010

 Well, we just dove right into the lime putty making process.  Got a bunch of
Type-S, dolometic, hydrated lime and put it in a bunch of water.  Worked
great. No real dangers, no problems. It's slaking comfortably now.
--

Hi Ty- you WILL NOT have any danger just putting bagged hydrated  lime
into water, it has already 'slaked' properly  at the manufacturer , so

there will NOT be any thermal reaction at this stage, just water and
lime mellowing together.

Slaking happens once,  when the processed  hot lime is  added to water
to make the hydrated lime powder.

good luck on you experiments!    DO  wear gloves, glasses, long
slevees, and  remember  clothes soaked  wet with lime water must be
removed as some people have more tender skin, and the lime water is
just caustic enough to super dry the skin, and can  'burn' it.   I can
really prune your fingers too, and will burn skin if  bare hands are
used for a long period touching lime.

Charmaine Taylor Publishing
www.papercrete.com